Key highlights of this blog
Preparation time: 5 min.
Cooking time: 10-15 min.
1 lb. Organic unsalted butter
¼ tsp. turmeric(optional)
1 bay leaf(optional)
1. In a deep sauce pan, heat organic unsalted butter on a low heat.
2. Let the butter melt in the sauce pan.
3. As it starts cooking, it will make spluttering sound . Moisture content in the butter will evaporate leaving behind pure butter.
4. Let it cook on low heat for 10 minutes. The spluttering sound decreases and then stops.
5. When you see milk solids in the butter get settled at the bottom of the pan and turn brown, it is time to turn the heat off.
6. If you are using electric stove, immediately remove the sauce pan from the stove, otherwise it will burn the ghee.
7. Let the ghee cool down for 5 min.
8. Add pinch of turmeric or bay leaf in the hot ghee. This will prevent the ghee from getting rancid fast.
9. Once the ghee has cooled down, strain it using a steel strainer into an air tight container.